Water Can Help You Lose Weight
Drinking the correct amounts of water can help you drop weight and keep you living a active healthy Lifestyle. I want to share with you how water can help support weight loss and improve your overall quality of life. We will discuss the benefits of drinking water, how much water you should be drinking every-day and how water can help you lose weight.
Benefits of Drinking water
Let start with some of the negative effects your body can feel when you do not drink enough water. If you do not drink the correct amount of water your body needs to function at optimal health you may experience some of the following
- Stomach pain
- Bad breath
- Increases toxin accumulation.
- Cause of constipation
- Increases water retention which causes weight gain and bloating.
- Decreased metabolism.
- Increased appetite, when we don’t drink enough water we tend to eat more calories than our body needs because our body is dehydrated.
- Lack of water makes it difficult for carb to turn into energy. Your body needs 3 grams of water per 1 gram of carbs to convert to energy. Otherwise your body stores the carbs as fat.
The human body is 65% made of water and is one of the most important and abundant nutrient in the body. The human body can survive for 3 weeks without food but only 3 days without water.
An easy quick test to tell if you are dehydrated is to check your urine colour. Your urine should mostly clear colour with ting of yellow. Strong yellow colour means you are dehydrated and need to drink more water. The only exception to this is first thing in the morning.
There are many benefits to drinking water but here are just a few of the main reason why you should be drinking the correct amounts of water for your body.
- Helps reduce toxins in our bodies and flush out unwanted toxins and impurities.
- Increases metabolism. Drinking water helps increase your metabolism, which supports weight loss.
- Improves and supports mental health. Our brains are mostly water, drinking it helps you think, focus and concentrate better and be more alert.
- Supports your Joints, most people don’t realize that dehydration can to jointpain and stiffness. Water helps lubricate the joints.
- Decrease calorie intake. Drinking a glass of water before a meal can reduce hunger so you don’t over eat
- Improves skin complexion, if your skin is well hydrated skincan decrease amounts of oil in your skin and a healthy glow.
- Supports healthy digestion and regular bowl movements. Water helps break down the foods and softens our stools.
When is the best time to drink water?
- The best time to drink water is in the morning. Starting your day with lemon water is a healthy way to get the day started and boost your metabolism
- Drink a glass of water 30 min before meals, this will naturally help you eat less calories.
- When you are feeling hungry drink a glass of water before grabbing the quick mid-afternoon snack. Remember most people mistake dehydration for hungry.
- Through the day. Have a water bottle close to you at all time and just take slips throughout the whole day.
How Can Water Help you Lose Weight
- Water naturally increase our resting calorie expenditure. According to research resting energy expender is increased by 24-30% within 10 min of drinking water. What does that mean. It means your body is burning more calories while in resting mode. Pretty easy way to burn calories if you ask me.
- People naturally eat less when they drink more water. People tend mistake dehydration for hungry. Studies show that drinking water before meal decreases in calorie intake which helps with weight loss.
- Replacing water with sugary soft drinks and juices reduces calorie intake which helps with weigh loss.
- Drinking water help remove toxins from our bodies. Toxins like to store in our fat cells. Drinking more water helps flush these toxins out of our bodies.
Some other health benefits include:
- Mental awareness
- Improves digestion and
- Supports healthy bowls
Over all drinking water improves our quality of life and supports weight loss.
How Much Water Should You Drink Each Day
Drinking enough water is vital to achieve optimal health. In order for your body to function at full capacity you need to drink the correct amount of water for your specific body. Water intake levels vary be between individuals depending on their weight, activity levels and climates they live.
You probably have been told before you should drink to 8 16oz cups of water per day. Yes, this a great place to start, but water requirements completely depend on the individual.
Many people need more water depending on their weight, climate and activity levels. The average person needs between 3-4 litres of water each day.
Studies show that almost half the population don’t drink enough water. To find out how much water you should be drinking for your weight and actives use a water intake calculator. Check out this free water intake calculator to figure out how much water you should be drinking.
Getting enough water is key for supporting a healthy lifestyle and weight loss
Now you know some of the main reasons why you should drink water and how water can help you lose water and keep you living a healthy lifestyle.
Tips and Tricks to Drink More Water
Here are 5 tips to help you drink more water:
- Buy a big BPA free water bottle. Easy way to keep track of your water intake.
- Rubber bands. Every time you drink a glass of water wrap a rubber band around the glass to keep track of how many you have each day.
- Add fruit to your water to give a bit of flavour. Cucumbers, lemons and mint are some of my favourites
- Drink herbal teas. Yes, herbal teas count towards you water intake. I even make ice tea on hot days. Just remember no add sugar just straight tea.
- Use an app to help remind you to drink water and keep track of your daily water intake.
Water is so important to living a healthy style and our overall health and supports weight loss. Learn more about the health benefits water offers your body.